As part of our Science learning about the human body, we produced heart diagrams, including these spectacularly good pieces from Megan, Harry, Jack and Honey:
On Thursday 27th September, Year 6 enjoyed a fantastic Egyptian Day.
Ruby has written a recount of our fabulous day:
Dear Parents and Carers,
We hope you and your child had a fun and relaxing summer break. The six weeks seem to have flown by! We would like to take this opportunity to welcome you and your child to Year 6. As I am sure you will be aware, Year 6 is a SATs year, which will require a lot of hard work and self-confidence to overcome. Whilst we will obviously be focussing the majority of our teaching and learning on the tests approaching in May, we will also do our very best to ensure that your child’s year is as relaxing and as fun as we can possibly make it.
It is more important than ever that we keep communication as honest and as open as possible. Even with our best intentions, your child will undoubtedly feel the extra stress and pressure that comes with Year 6. We certainly do! So, if you have any issues or questions, or need some support in how best to help your child, please come in and see us, or make an appointment to do so. If we work as a team, we can ensure that your child gets the success in their SATs that their hard work deserves.
With that in mind, we would like to take this opportunity to refresh your memories about a few routines:
• Homework will be given out every Friday and will need to be returned by the following Friday morning. Weekly homework will include Literacy, Numeracy and research work and will be tailored to your child’s needs and targets. If your child is struggling with homework, Homework Club is available to all on Wednesday lunchtime. Please make sure your child does not leave their homework until the night before, as this does not allow us to best support them and give them a chance to learn from their mistakes.
• P.E. lessons will take place on Fridays. Lessons will probably be outside for the first few weeks of the term, weather permitting, so an appropriate pair of trainers or plimsolls is essential. As the weather gets colder, P.E. will then obviously take place indoors.
• Swimming starts for Year 6 pupils on Wednesday 12th September, and will run for the following nine weeks, until Wednesday 14th November. On Wednesday, please ensure that your child arrives at school by 8.45, as the coach departs at nine o’clock and we will not be able to wait for latecomers if we want to get in the pool on time. A separate swimming letter will go out shortly. If any parents or carers would like to volunteer to be spotters at the poolside, could you please let us know in your child’s organiser?
• Spellings will be given out each Friday for a test on the following Friday.
• Times tables tests will take place every week.
Please continue to support us in the following ways so that we can work together to enable your child to reach their potential:
v Listen to your child read each week night for a few minutes.
v Support your child in learning their spellings and practising putting them into grammatically correct sentences to improve understanding.
v Encourage your child to complete their homework and hand it in on time. If there is an issue with completing a given piece of homework, please let us know using the organiser.
v Help your child learn their times tables.
v Ensure your child has the required equipment for school each day.
v Check the school website regularly for dates and events. The class page will be updated regularly with photos and examples of your child’s work, so please look at it.
If you wish to discuss any issues or concerns, or if you simply have a question, please feel free to come and talk to us. Our door is always open.
Mr Wright and Mrs Sadler
Click here for more information.